Sunday, June 15, 2008

Visiting the Churches

Aflao, Ghana
By: Gloria Gault Geary

We slept soundly. There was a knock at our door early morning and Rev. Wisdom had sent over a basket full of food for us. Fresh baked bread, raisins, bananas and peanut butter! What a treat. There was a thermos full of hot water and teabags for me and Milo (a chocolate, vitamin drink) for the boys. We were blessed!

When traveling in other cultures it helps to know the differences in customs. I had asked Rev. Wisdom the night before what we needed to know. He explained that when speaking to a group it is rude to make a gesture with your left hand. You should always use your right hand. I had put that in my brain, or so I thought.

We visited the first church and were warmly welcomed. I spoke to the entire congregation and Rev. Wisdom interpreted. I prayed and felt very good about the time with them. As we traveled to our next church I quizzed Rev. Wisdom about what we could do to better share with them. He reminded me about the left hand gesture.
I had totally forgotten all about it! I knew I had goofed because I am left handed. I decided right then I would not speak again unless I was holding my Bible in my left hand. That would guarantee I could only use my right hand to gesture.

At the second church Hatcher spoke briefly. Again we were greeted like long lost brothers and sisters returning home. I was touched by their kindness towards us.

Again, I think I made a slight boo boo. As the children filed into the church I waved to them. When I waved I moved my fingers up and down. In Ghana that means “come here”, so immediately all the children walked up to the platform. I didn’t realize what I had done but loved the opportunity to touch them and speak to them.

Looking back I have to laugh at myself. As hard as I was trying to be polite, I seemed to be making lots of mistakes. Of course, no one corrected me or even hinted that I had done wrong.

No comments: