Sunday, September 7, 2008

“Cristo Yo Cree En Ti”

On Sunday GB (aka Gloria) preached!
By Grier Cash
She did such an amazing job, teaching, encouraging, and challenging the congregation.
GB preaching (Brother Antonio Escalante translating)
She spoke on Hosea and Gomer. It was a breath of fresh air to hear a sermon in English. I didn’t have to strain to understand or guess at what was being said.

I also had the opportunity to share an interpretive movement during the service. Originally I had hoped to share “Shout To The Lord”, a song in English but one that the congregation knew well. For several days it just seemed to not come together. I then remembered that I could download a song in Spanish that I had done an interp to several years before.

The very first time I learned an interp (interpretation through dance) it was to a Spanish song – “Cristo Yo Cree En Ti” It was 10 years ago and I was in Venezuela. The song was dear to my heart because my mission trip to Venezuela at the age of 15 was very instrumental in my spiritual walk and it was the first time I danced before the Lord.

But this time when I shared it here in El Salvador the song took on a whole new meaning.
For many months/years now I have been really struggling with the Lord. His presence has seemed very distant from me and I have even doubted his existence at all. My spirit has been dry and I have had overwhelming sadness in my heart. Many times lately my prayer has been… "Lord I believe, but forgive my unbelief"
As I performed this song it became my prayer as well:

Though I can’t see your holy face
And your throne in Heaven above, it seems so far away
Though I can’t touch, can’t touch your nailed scarred hands
I have a deep unspeakable joy that makes my faith to stand

Lord I believe in you
I’ll always believe in you
Though I can’t see you with my eyes
Deep in my heart your presence I find
Lord I believe in you
I’ll always believe in you
Let the whole world say what they may
No one can take this joy away
Lord I believe

This past week I have also had the opportunity to teach the interpretive movement to the girls at the church here.

There are about 10 girls ranging in age from 7-10 years of age who meet each week to learn new dances. Though we have not been able to communicate easily it has been so much fun spending time with them. I teach them and they teach me. It has been such a gift to be able to pass on something that transcends cultural and language barriers.

When we dance we speak the same language.
(Grier is a very dear family friend who joined us for the El Salvador leg of our world mission trip. She was also our host in New York http://gearyfamilymission.blogspot.com/2008/04/new-york-school-of-urban-ministrys.html)

No comments: