Sunday, August 10, 2008

Im Jai House with Darenee

Sunday, August 10, 2008
Chiang Mai, Thailand

About five years ago I was called by the Lord to my first mission trip. Hatcher and I came to Thailand to visit Im Jai House. This is a Christian orphanage for approximately 50 children. At the time Hatcher was 7 years old and he so enjoyed playing with the children. Then about two years later, I returned to Im Jai for my third mission trip. Needless to say these children and house parents have a special place in our hearts.
Over the years I have prayed often for them. Sometimes the Lord has called me to prayer for them and sometimes I have prayed because I was prompted by news or emails. I have always felt called to keep them in my prayers.

It was such a treat to see these children again! They have grown and matured. We arrived about 5:00 pm which is right in the middle of their play time. The boys brought some soccer balls and were soon playing with some of the boys there.

Shirley and I headed to the house where Darenee was house mother. Darenee and I have communicated some over the years. She and I have in common being single moms, so I was looking forward to seeing her again.

Darenee (far left), Sherry and us on the front porch.

We took a tour of the home (they have moved since I was last here) and just sat around and caught up a bit. As we sat on the porch with most of the girls in the house, it occurred to me that this might be a good time to hand out bracelets and share our mission story.

Sherry, the oldest in the orphanage translated for me and the girls listened intently. At the end I quizzed them to insure they had learned all the colors. They had. I then asked if any would like to pray and ask Jesus into their hearts. To my surprise and great delight three girls said yes!

What a gift from God to be able to be a part of their public profession.

As we prayed with them, I thought of all those teams from First Baptist (and many other churches) who had come and planted seeds into the hearts of these children. I thought about the many house parents, board members, foundation leaders who had played a part of showing the love of Christ to these children.

I was truly humbled that God would let us be a part of the harvest.

Shirley (second from left) and the girls hearing the meaning of the colors of the salvation bracelet.

Please pray for these precious young women and all the children at Im Jai.

No comments: