Sunday, May 4, 2008

Fear and Faith...

Train from Prague, Czech Republic to Warsaw, Poland

Fear
Many people have told me that I am brave. I am not. What bravery I may have had about this trip died about 2 weeks before we left. Fear has haunted me almost daily. I have feared that I had misunderstood the Lord about this trip. I have feared for my children’s safety, for the finances to hold up, for lost relationships, for offending those we visit, for our health, for missing a flight, losing our passports, losing our minds….you name it, it has come across my mind as fear.

I would have thought that since we are following God and doing His work that He would allow nothing to happen to us. I was wrong. What I am finding is God has allowed many of my fears to come to fruition. At first I would get angry with God. “How could you allow this to happen to us?” I would say. In my sinful pride, I expected a shield against anything I didn’t want. This thought was me forgetting that God is in control, not me.
Faith
God in His marvelous way has shown me this is more about teaching me to trust Him and walk in faith, regardless of what happens. That is not always easy.

Harrison steals a peak out the train window…looking for the yellow flowers.
In London, both Adrian and Helen in separate conversations brought up the idea of staying focused on the eternal, not the immediate. I have prayed for the last month that God would teach me more about the “Kingdom of God” and exactly what that is.
What God is teaching me is the Kingdom of God is the spiritual side of life. The more I focus on the spiritual and worry less about the physical the more God is able to step in and take care of the physical for me, in His way and His timing.

“Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 24:3
Please pray that God will strengthen my faith and the faith of my children. Pray that God will be our strength and that we will always lean on Him only.
I pray God will teach you too. He is gentle and His yoke is light.

The beautiful yellow flowers were everywhere!

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:29-30 (NKJV)

1 comment:

emilymburgess said...

Be strong and courageous. I know you are. Praying strength, peace and quiet over you. I love you.